Customs prefers electronic declarations. If you do not have much experience of importing and exporting, it would be a good idea to have the customs declaration made by a shipper, logistical service provider or customs agent. If you regularly import or export, you can submit your own customs declarations. Criteria:
- You have an authorisation from Customs.
- You have an approved software package.
Please contact the Single Administrative Document.
Since 2010, all Economic Operators established and active in Europe have had an EORI number. EORI stands for Economic Operator Registration and Identification number. You must use or have this number used as an identification number when exchanging data with customs (mandatory).
You mainly require the EORI number when you trade with countries outside the EU. You also need the EORI number when trading with countries within the EU for some products such as alcohol and tobacco.
If you hold Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) status, this offers you various advantages in international trade. For example, your goods will pass through customs inspections more easily, or will be inspected less frequently. You can apply to Customs for AEO status free of charge.
Trade within the EU
Export to other EU Member States is called intra-community supply. Import from other EU member states is called an intra-community acquisition. In such cases, declaration of goods to customs authorities is not required. For some products, such as liquor or tobacco, an EORI number is also required for trade with other EU countries.
Contact the Tax and Customs Administration via our Information Desk
Call +31 88 585 22 22
- Import of goods - The declaration procedure (Dutch Tax and Customs Administration)
- Filing export declarations (Dutch Tax and Customs Administration)
- EORI (Dutch Tax and Customs Administration)
- Export from the Netherlands to other EU countries: intra-Community supply (Dutch Tax and Customs Administration)
- Import from EU countries to the Netherlands: intra-Community acquisition (Dutch Tax and Customs Administration)
- Authorised Economic Operator (Dutch Tax and Customs Administration)