Voluntary insurance

If you start your own business, you can take out voluntary insurance with the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). You register with UWV within 13 weeks after your compulsory employee insurance scheme through work or benefit has been cancelled. You can also take out voluntary insurance against a number of other business risks with an insurance company.

You will find information about insurance schemes regarding disability, provision for old age and liability, on the website Verzekeren voor Zelfstandigen (Dutch).

National insurance schemes

National insurance schemes are compulsory for everyone working or living in the Netherlands. As a self-employed professional, you pay national insurance contributions through your income tax.


Contact Answers for Business
Call +31 88 602 44 44
Contact us