Self-employed professionals EEA and Switzerland

Self-employed professionals from within the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland do not require a work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning, TWV) to be allowed to work in the Netherlands. They do, however, have to demonstrate they are truly self-employed. Self-employed means for instance you are in control over certain aspects of the services you provide. This can be verified by the Social Affairs and Employment Inspectorate (Inspectie SZW).

Self-employed professionals from outside EEA or Switzerland

Self-employed professionals from outside an EEA member country or Switzerland require a work permit to be allowed to work in the Netherlands. Their contractor must apply for this work permit (Dutch) for them at the Employee Insurance Agency (Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen, UWV). However, self-employed professionals in possession of a residence permit allowing residence for a self-employed professional or a residence permit including the endorsement 'Work is freely permitted' (Arbeid is vrij toegestaan) are exempt.