Registration Business Register

How to register?

When you start up a one-man business, general partnership [vof], limited partnership [cv] or a partnership [maatschap], you must register with the Dutch Business Register yourself. You must register in person no sooner than one week before and no later than one week after the start of your business. For this, you can book an appointment online (Dutch).

When you set up a legal entity, such as a private limited company [bv] or a foundation [stichting], a civil-law notary will arrange for the legal entity to be included in the Business Register.

When registered, you do not need to register separately with the Tax and Customs Administration.

Foreign company registration

Permanent establishment in the Netherlands

If you are a foreign company with a Dutch branch (permanent establishment), you must be registered in the Dutch Business Register. Registration is done either personally or by sending in several documents. These are:

  • Registration non-legal entity company (form 6).
  • Registration official of a legal entity (form 11).
  • Registration authorised representative business agent (form 13).

You can use the English forms as an example, but make sure to submit the Dutch-language forms.

You must also send in the following documents:

  • Proof of company registration from the country where it was founded (not older than 1 month).
  • Certified copy of the Memorandum of Association.
  • Certified copy of the Articles of Association.
  • Certificate of incumbency, which clearly shows the appointed Board of Directors.

These forms may be in Dutch, English, German or French.

If you have any questions relating to your registration, please contact the Dutch Chamber of Commerce.

No permanent establishment in the Netherlands

If you are a foreign company that doesn't have a permanent establishment in the Netherlands, you don't have to register with the Business register. However, if you are involved in VAT, you do have to register with the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration (see below) yourself.

Please note: Registration is (also) mandatory for foreign businesses without a Dutch branch that provide workers in or to the Netherlands.

Registration temporary employment agencies and other suppliers of workers

If your organisation supplies workers in the Netherlands, you must add this explicitly to your registration in the Business Register. This also applies to foreign companies offering their employment services without a Dutch branch and so-called '06-vans' (mobile employment agencies). Failing to do so may result in high administrative fines.

If you hire staff from a supplier who is not listed in the Business Register, you may be fined as well. You should therefore always check whether the supplier has been registered correctly. You can use the Waadi check (Dutch) offered by the Chamber of Commerce for this purpose. 'Waadi' derives from the applicable Act (Wet allocatie arbeidskrachten door intermediairs).

KvK and VAT number

You will be issued a KVK number after registering in the Dutch Business Register. All legal entities and alliances will also be given a Legal Person and Alliance Information Number (Rechtspersonen en Samenwerkingsverbanden Informatienummer, RSIN). If your business consists of more than one branch, each of them will be given a unique branch number consisting of 12 digits. You will automatically receive your VAT number either from KVK or the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.

Reporting changes

You must notify KVK in your region within one week if your business's details, such as address, officers or directors, branch details or trade name (or addition to trade name) change. If your business is taken over by a new owner, partnership or legal entity, the business will receive a new KVK number.

Cessation of business

If your business ceases trading, you must deregister from the Dutch Business Register. You can either send or hand in the deregistration form together with a copy of your identity document to the KVK office in your region. KVK will pass on your deregistration to the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.

Consultation the Dutch Business Register

The Dutch Business Register contains information about registered businesses, foundations and associations. You can consult the Register or buy specific products, such as extracts, annual financial statements or summaries. You can also request this information by telephone (0900 123 4567, €0.70 per minute).

Non mailing indicator

Your details listed in the Business Register are publicly available. By activating the non-mailing indicator, you indicate that your data are not available for direct marketing purposes.

Online registration procedure via Message Box

You can apply for registration at the Dutch Business Register via Message Box as well. For this purpose you will need a level 4 electronic signature (STORK) or signing with the PKI certificate (Public Key Infrastructure). Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

Registration Dutch Tax and Customs Administration

Registration with the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration happens automatically when you enter your business in the Business Register. The latter is necessary if your company has a permanent establishment in the Netherlands. If you represent a foreign company that is not registered in the Business Register (i.e. no permanent establishment in the Netherlands), while performing services in the Netherlands that involve VAT, you must register at the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration yourself. If you want to know which form you need to complete, please use the Registration of Foreign Businesses (RBO) aid.

More information

Taxes, tax numbers and registration as employer

The Tax and Customs Administration uses your information to determine which taxes you are required to pay, which can include:

  • income tax
  • turnover tax
  • corporate income tax
  • payroll tax

Within a few weeks after registration, the Tax and Customs Administration will send you a letter outlining the relevant information. You may also receive a VAT number and a tax return form. You do not need to submit a separate request for a VAT number.


You must notify your tax office in writing of any changes in your name or address details. If you open an outlet at another location, you do not need to report this other outlet to the Tax and Customs Administration.

Previous owner’s tax regime

If you take over (a part of) a business, you must comply with arrangements which the Tax and Customs Administration made with the previous owner.