Citizen service number employees

If you hire a new employee, you must record their citizen service number in your payroll accounts. If they are foreign and their stay does not exceed 4 months, they will be given a citizen service number after registration with the Non-residents Records Database (Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, RNI). They can register themselves with RNI at one of 18 dedicated municipalities. If your foreign employee's stay exceeds a 4 months period, they must register with the municipality where they are going to live. They may have to apply for a residence permit and/or a work permit as well.

Citizen service number for healthcare, childcare and rented homes

Several sectors are required to include their clients' or customers' citizen service number in their administration. For the childcare allowance, childcare organisations are required to ask for the parents' BSN and their child's BSN. Health insurance companies and landlords collect this information for the purposes of the healthcare and rent allowance. The BSN is included in the patient/client data exchanged by healthcare providers, assessment bodies and health insurance companies.