Citizen service number employees
If you hire a new employee, you must record their citizen service number in your payroll accounts. If they are foreign and their stay does not exceed 4 months, they will be given a citizen service number after registration with the Non-residents Records Database (Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, RNI). They can register themselves with RNI at one of 18 dedicated municipalities. If your foreign employee's stay exceeds a 4 months period, they must register with the municipality where they are going to live. They may have to apply for a residence permit and/or a work permit as well.
Citizen service number for healthcare, childcare and rented homes
Several sectors are required to include their clients' or customers' citizen service number in their administration. For the childcare allowance, childcare organisations are required to ask for the parents' BSN and their child's BSN. Health insurance companies and landlords collect this information for the purposes of the healthcare and rent allowance. The BSN is included in the patient/client data exchanged by healthcare providers, assessment bodies and health insurance companies.
Contact the Tax and Customs Administration via our Information Desk
Call +31 55 538 53 85
- Citizen service number (BSN) (Government of the Netherlands)
- Citizen Service Number/tax and social security number (Dutch Tax and Customs Administration)
- Obtaining the citizen service number (BSN) (Dutch Tax and Customs Administration)
- Brochure Registration when staying in the Netherlands for a short period (Government of the Netherlands)
- FAQ Registration of Non-Residents (Government of the Netherlands)