Renting accommodation

If you're looking to rent, you can register with a housing association. However, it's often quicker to find accommodation through a private letting agency because association waiting lists are often long, especially in the larger cities.

As a tenant, you'll be protected under the Rent Act [Dutch: Huurwet]. This means that accommodation has to meet certain criteria and be well maintained. However, rules apply to both tenants and landlords alike. Rules cover issues such as deposits, rent, rent increases, maintenance, service charges, etc.

Buying property

If you're looking to buy property and you need to borrow money, you'll get a lot of information from the banks and other finance providers, e.g. mortgage brokers. Mortgages in the Netherlands usually run for a thirty-year term, but it's also possible to opt for a shorter term. The interest you pay on your mortgage is tax-deductible.

The best place to get information about accommodation is from the local authority in the place where you intend to live. Most local authorities have their own website, where you'll find all the relevant telephone numbers.


Contact the Ministry of Economic Affairs
Call +31 70 379 8911
Contact us

External links