General environmental regulations on noise

Under the Wabo, general environmental regulations on noise are laid down in the Activities (Environmental Management) Decree (Activiteitenbesluit milieubeheer). These apply to a large number of companies. If you satisfy the general regulations, you will not need an All-in-one Permit for Physical Aspects (omgevingsvergunning). If you don't satisfy the general regulations, you need to apply for this permit at your municipality.

Acoustic report

The municipality or province may ask you for an acoustic report, when you start up your company or change your business activities. If you need to apply for an All-in-one Permit for Physical Aspects, the report is part of your application.

Noise Abatement Act

The Noise Abatement Act establishes permissible noise levels for companies on a zoned industrial estate.

General Municipal By-law

Noise abatement provisions are also included in General Municipal By-law (Algemeen Plaatselijke Verordening, APV) and Provincial Environmental By-law (Provinciale Milieuverordening, PMV).

Noise regulations in the hotel and catering industry

Your hotel and catering business is allowed to organise festivities a few times a year, in which case you do not have to comply with the noise regulations. However, some municipalities require you to inform them about these occasional festivities a few weeks in advance. In some municipalities, you will need a licence if you want to use sound equipment.


Contact Answers for Business
Call +31 88 602 44 44
Contact us